My RCX is totally non-communicative,
- LEGO MINDSTORMS ROBOTICS INVENTION SYSTEM 2.0 RCX-communication failure cannot be solved.
- Cannot install firmware, no communication whatsoever between the tower and RCX.
- The tower seem to be operational:
- Settings (for example range) can be done by the control program.
- The green led lights when operating.
- Infrared leds operate (checked with a digital camera sensitive to infrared lights)
RCX works in boot mode but doesn't receive any communication.
- Tried different ranges from 3 cm to 3 m.
- Tried with three different sets of batteries.
- Checked battery (6xAA) voltage: >1,5 V each.
- Checked with two different computers (the other is Win98)
- Installed "XP upgrade"
- All other IR sources blocked, tried inside a small cardboard box also. Windows blocked (sun light)
- All permanent "test programs" 1-5 seem to work OK.
- Four times uninstalled and re-installed all software and hardware.
- All XP updates installed.
- All other devices working correctly.
- Tried different USB ports in my PC.
- No physical damage in RCX. It's brand new, purhcased just one week ago.
- RCX 2.0 Serial number = 625521
The RCX IR communication port seem to be totally inoperative, most probably due to some component failure. This is of course possible (at least 1/10000) even though the general quality of LEGO products seem to be high.
Do you know how to get hardware serviced?
The dealer www.buyandbehappy.de cannot help and doesn't accept the kit as return because naturally it's opened and a LEGO.