Lego Solar Panel
2023 Lego education 9688 Renewable energy add on set
In 2023, Lego have a set that adds on to the Lego technic power functions and Mindstorms EV3 series. Included is a solar panel, wind power turbine blades, an electric motor which can be used as a generator, an energy monitor and lights to power from the generated electricity. The kit includes instructions for building and experimentation.
2005 Lego Dacta Solar Panel
I am not sure of the full specifications - only that it is part of their Dacta range - the eLab sets specifically.
According to the Lego Site:
The solar cell consists of seven (7) solar cells and a diode. They are connected in serial so the total volt = 7 x 0.4 V (a total of approximately 2.8 V).
- 3 V, 200 mA at full sun outdoors
- 3 V, 100 mA at full sun indoors through window
- 2.5 V, 8 mA with light from 60 W incandescent lamp with 25 cm distance to solar cell (2000 lx)
- 2.5 V, 40 mA with light from 60 W incandescent lamp with 8 cm distance to solar cell (10,000 lx)
Lego also offer the following cautions for its use:
- The solar cell is not waterproof
- Do not bend excessively or push hard on the clear plastic window
- Do not step on or otherwise place heavy weight on the solar cell
- Ordinary incandescent lamps produce a lot of heat and should only be used for short periods and at a distance of at least 8 cm
Although the standard Lego Motor (with 5225, RCX etc) runs at 9v, it can be run from these lower voltages. Combine this set with the Lego Capacitor and a few other components - and you can build a Lego BEAM Robots example.
Thanks to Peeron for set and part information.